ISLAMABAD: The coalition government has decided to move Supreme Court seeking the disqualification of former prime minister and PTI Chief Imran Khan and the ban on his party.
The decision was made during a meeting of the legal team held with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif in the chair on Wednesday in Islamabad.
The meeting decided to take legal action against the PTI chief and to place Imran Khan’s name and other PTI leaders on the no-fly list.
The government decided to launch an investigation involving four employees of the PTI central secretariat, while legal action would be taken against six members of the party central finance board.
The decision in this regard comes a day after the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) in its unanimous verdict announced that PTI had received prohibited funding.
A three-member bench of the election commission headed by Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sikandar Sultan Raja in a reserved verdict declared that PTI has received funds from business tycoon Arif Naqvi and 34 foreigners including from the United States.
The election commission in its 68-page verdict stated that Imran Khan had submitted a false affidavit regarding the funding to the party from 2008 to 2013, adding that the PTI concealed thirteen accounts.
The case was filed by PTI founding member Akbar S. Babar and was pending for the last eight years.
Earlier today, a meeting of the Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) was held with Maulana Fazlur Rehman in the chair, which decided that different teams would take action simultaneously across Pakistan over the election commission’s decision against Imran Khan.
The PDM meeting decided to take legal action for the disqualification of Imran Khan and other PTI leaders including Asad Qaiser, Qasim Suri, Imran Ismail, Shah Farman and other party leaders.
Apart from this, action will be taken against Mian Mehmood-ul-Rashid, Najeeb Haru, Seema Zia and Member of Sindh Assembly Samar Ali Khan.
Addressing a news conference in Islamabad after the PDM meeting, JUI-F chief said that PTI employees should be arrested and more details should be obtained.
He said that there had been an indictment against Imran Khan and PTI in the foreign funding case. Now the phase of deciding the punishment against him according to the constitution and the law has come, he added.
“Imran Khan is no longer an accused, he has been declared a criminal,” he said and added that his party had been declared a foreign funded party.
Sanaullah, Marriyum press conference
Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah on Wednesday vowed that the government will not grant PTI supporters permission to protest outside the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) as it falls in Islamabad’s high-security “Red Zone” area.
In a press conference alongside Information Minister Marriyum Aurangzeb, he said that the demonstrators will be allowed to hold their protest at the nearby F-9 park or the Parade Ground.
“But there will be no permission for protest in [the] Red Zone and anyone who tries to enter [the area] forcibly will be dealt as per law,” he warned.
In a tweet, he also said that there was apprehension of “PTI miscreants attacking ECP”, hence a ban had been imposed on protests in the Red Zone.
Sanaullah’s statement comes hours after senior PTI leader Asad Umar reminded supporters to protest outside the ECP offices in Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar tomorrow (August 4) against the commission’s verdict in the prohibited funding case.