Sialkot lynching:
18 suspects remanded
in police custody


GUJRANWALA: A court on Tuesday remanded 18 more suspects arrested in the Sialkot lynching case in police custody for investigation. Police produced the suspects before a judicial magistrate as the anti-terrorism court (ATC) judge hearing the case was on leave.

The magistrate handed over the suspects to the investigation officer and directed him to present them along with other suspects before the ATC on Jan 3. A total of 85 suspects arrested in the case will be presented in the ATC on Jan 3.

A file picture of Priyantha Kumara with wife and children

Priyantha Kumara, a 49-year-old Sri Lankan national, was lynched by a mob of workers at a factory on December 3, where he was working as manager. A first information report (FIR) was registered against hundreds of unidentified men, including workers of the factory.

Resolution in Senate

A resolution against the killing of Sri Lankan citizen Priyantha Kumara has been approved in the Upper House of the Parliament, (Senate) on Friday. The resolution mentioned that our religion has no link with such kind of brutal acts and demanded to take action against those involved in the incident.

Condolences were also extended to the bereaved family of Priyantha Kumara and the people of Sri Lanka in the resolution.

Members of human rights organisations protesting against the lynching of Sri Lankan manager Priyantha Kumara in Sialkot.

Earlier, the concerned authorities had forwarded an initial report on the incident to Prime Minister (PM) Imran Khan and Chief Minister of Punjab (CM) Usman Buzdar.

The incident was reported to the police at 11:26 am. A sticker regarding religion was placed on a machine in factory which, the manager directed to remove in the wake of foreignersvisit, the report stated.

Allegedly, the workers didnt act on the order due to which, the manager came forward and remove it by himself. The factory owners and administration fled the scene after lynching the Sri Lankan manager, the report mentioned.

A mob in Sialkot tortured a Sri Lankan national to death and then burnt his body. The incident occurred on Sialkots Wazirabad Road, where workers of private factories attacked the export manager of a factory and burnt his body over alleged blasphemy.