QUETTA: No clue is reported sofar about two missing students who were allegedly disappeared few days before. Educational activities at Balochistan University were again suspended since Thursday and more educational institutions as students resumed their protest over the disappearance of two students, and accused the government of reneging on its promise to recover the missing duo.
According to a Dawn report, Sohail Baloch and Faseeh Baloch went missing several days ago, following which the students began their protest on Nov 7.
Days later on November 9 (Tuesday), as the negotiations with the authorities failed, students belonging to various factions of the Baloch Student Organisation (BSO) locked the gates of the varsity and announced that no one would take the semester examinations and that their protest would continue until the duo were recovered.
The students, however, had paused the demonstration on Saturday (Nov 13) after receiving assurances from the government to recover the missing students by Tuesday.
According to Baloch Student Organisation’s (BSO) Secretary General Balach Qadir Baloch, the government committee has now sought another three to four days in “disregard of their earlier promise to recover the missing students by Nov 16”.
Ameer Hamza, public relations officer of the university, said the negotiation committee of the varsity comprising pro-vice-chancellor, registrar and others were holding talks with the students.
He said CCTV footage was shown to families of the missing students and it showed no signs of abduction.
The government had formed a committee on Nov 11 to address student issues and submit their recommendations.
One of the committee members, Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party MPA Nasrullah Zaray, had confirmed the conditional agreement to Dawn.com and said that the matter had been brought before Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Abdul Qudoos Bizenjo.
Various Student Organisations from Balochistan University in a joint press conference announced to reignite their protests as the government failed to meet their demands after a four-day ultimatum.
The students have been protesting against the abduction of their two colleagues by Pakistani security forces from the premises of the University of Balochistan in Quetta on November 1, 2021.
The government committee and the University administration had negotiated with protesting students and assured them to find out about the whereabouts of their abducted friends but they failed to locate the students and the four-day ultimatum has ended.
The Students in their press conference on Tuesday said, ‘We had put our two demands before the committee which were to recover our companion Agha Fasih and Sohail Baloch and present them before a court if they had committed any wrongdoing.’
They added that the fact that the committee failed to locate the abducted students is worrying and tragic. ‘What happened to the CCTV cameras at Balochistan University and cameras of other state institutions when our colleagues were abducted.’ they questioned.
The Students in their Press Release said that Pakistani forces have been continuously abducting Baloch students and other youth from Balochistan. ‘They abducted youth are kept incommunicado for years, tortured and killed under the custody of Pakistani forces. Their dead bodies are then found in desolated areas across Balochistan’
Reacting to the statement of the University registrar that there was no evidence about these students being abducted from the premises of the University, the students alleged that such statements from the varsity’s administration were tantamount to backing the abductors of students.
They said the students from all over Balochistan have expressed concerns about the growing abduction of youth and assured their support to the protesting students outside the University of Balochistan.
Meanwhile, on Wednesday, the students from the University of Turbat Balochistan held a peace walk to express solidarity with the protesting students of Balochistan University.