Man charged with
murder of Sabina Nessa,
trial will start on Oct 26


LONDON: Detectives investigating the murder of Sabina Nessa in Kidbrooke have made an arrest. A 36-year-old man [C] was arrested on suspicion of murder at around 03:00hrs on Sunday, 26 September, at an address in East Sussex. He has been taken into police custody.

Teacher Sabina Nessa

Detective Chief Inspector Neil John, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “Sabina’s family have been informed of this significant development and they continue to be supported by specialist officers.”

According to a BBC report, a man has been remanded in custody after appearing in court charged with the murder of Sabina Nessa, who was killed as she walked to meet a friend in south-east London.Ms Nessa had been making her way to meet a friend at The Depot bar in Kidbrooke Village but never arrived.

Koci Selamaj appears in court (Sketch courtesy BBC)

Koci Selamaj, 36, appeared at Willesden Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday. He was arrested at a property on Terminus Road, Eastbourne, on Sunday.

The body of Ms Nessa, 28, was found in Cator Park in Kidbrooke, a few minutes’ walk from her home, by a member of the public on 18 September.

Wearing a grey jumper and grey tracksuit bottoms, Mr Selamaj appeared in the dock with an Albanian interpreter. However, the court was told he would be able to follow the proceedings without one. Mr Selamaj’s solicitor Aidan Harvey said his client intended to plead not guilty.

District Judge Denis Brennan remanded Mr Selamaj in custody to appear at the Old Bailey for a bail hearing on 30 September. A trial and plea preparation hearing will take place on 26 October.

The BBC reported that Sabina Nessa was killed on a “five-minute” walk to meet a friend at a pub, police believe. Officers said the 28-year-old teacher was attacked as she walked to The Depot bar in Kidbrooke Village, south-east London, from her home on Astell Road at about 20:30 BST last Friday.

Jebina Nessa pays tribute to her sister Sabina Nessa during the vigil

Her body was found by a member of the public in Cator Park the next morning.

Det Insp Joe Garrity said: “Sabina’s journey should have taken just over five minutes but she never made it to her destination. Our investigation is making good progress and specialist officers remain at the crime scene carrying out intensive searches and enquiries.

“We know the community are rightly shocked by this murder – as are we – and we are using every resource available to us to find the individual responsible.”

Vigil in memory of Sabina Nessa on Friday

Ms Nessa’s cousin Zubel Ahmed has previously said she was a “beautiful soul” and appealed for help to find whoever was responsible for the “horrific crime”.

He said her parents were “absolutely shocked” and “inconsolable still, understandably so, to hear of their daughter being taken away from them by some cowardly man”.

Describing his cousin, Mr Ahmed said she “was the most caring person – kindest, sweetest girl you could meet. She’s been teaching for two years. Loves teaching, loves kids, she’s got a couple of cats at home. She was just a beautiful soul.”