NEW DELHI: India’s Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar said on Tuesday that trust with China had been deeply impaired after last summer’s border clash which resulted in the first loss of lives in 45 years.
Troops remain locked in a standoff at the bitterly contested border in the western Himalayas, the most serious military crisis between the nuclear-armed neighbours for decades.
“After 45 years, you’ve actually had bloodshed on the border. And that’s had a huge impact on public opinion and politically […] Really the impact of trust and confidence in India where China and their relationship is concerned. That has been profoundly disturbed,” Jaishankar told the Reuters Next conference, speaking from New Delhi.
Last month, Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said there had been “no meaningful result” from several rounds of diplomatic and military talks aimed at de-escalating the confrontation.
“If the status quo continues, it is obvious that the deployment won’t come down,” Singh had said during an interview with Reuters partner ANI.
But, he said, both sides were still exchanging messages over the border situation and another round of military talks was in the offing.