Father recognises Hayat Baloch’s killer in identification parade in Turbat jail


QUETTA: The father of Hayat Baloch, a student of the Karachi University who was allegedly killed by a soldier of Frontier Corps (FC), recognised the suspect during an identification parade in Turbat district jail on Wednesday.

According to media report, the father of the victim had earlier said he could recognise the FC man if brought in front of him. Hayat was taken to a date orchard after a blast in the Absar area of Turbat in Balochistan and shot eight times by the FC soldier.

A picture which went viral widely shows parents of Hayat Baloch crying in pain over the body of their beloved son.

Suspect Shadiullah is already in police custody and a murder case has been registered against him on the complaint of the victim’s elder brother, Muhammad Murad Baloch.

Kech district police officer Najeebullah Pandrani said the identification parade was held in the jail under the supervision of a judicial magistrate. Other prisoners were also brought along with the suspect, he added.

“The father of Hayat Baloch identified the suspect three times during the identification parade,” DPO Pandrani said, adding that the FC had already handed over Shadiullah to police after completing their internal investigation.

Meanwhile, the FC Balo­chistan issued a statement on the incident. It said that on Aug 13 a tragic incident took place in Turbat in which terrorists targeted an FC convoy with an IED (improvised explosive device) in the Absar area, resulting in injuries to three personnel, including a non-commissioned officer.

After the incident, the statement said, some local people, including Hayat Baloch, who were present in the area, were being interrogated about the incident. During the interrogation, FC soldier Naik Shadiullah demonstrating irresponsible attitude opened fire, resulting in injuries to Hayat Baloch, who succumbed to his wounds on the spot.

The FC personnel present on the occasion overpowered the suspect and disarmed him immediately, it added.

The statement said that after the incident and initial internal inquiry the FC South inspector general ordered handing over of the suspect to police. The FC handed over the suspect to police within two hours, before his nomination in the incident. The notables of the area had welcomed the FC gesture, it added.