ISLAMABAD: India’s convicted national in Pakistan Kulbhushan Jadhav got second opportunity on Thursday of meeting with Indian diplomats in the cell. Foreign Office (FO) spokesperson Aisha Farooqui said that the consular access for a second time to Kulbhushan Jadhav was arranged at Delhi’s request and reiterated the country’s offer to file an appeal in the Islamabad High Court (IHC) against his conviction and subsequent death sentence by a military court.
In a statement, the FO spokesperson said that two consular officers of the Indian High Commission in Islamabad were provided “unimpeded and uninterrupted access to Jadhav at 1500 hours”.
Jadhav was arrested on March 3, 2016, from Balochistan on allegations of espionage and terrorism. “First consular access under the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations (VCCR) 1963 was earlier provided by Pakistan on September 2, 2019. The mother and wife of Commander Jadhav were also allowed to meet him on December 25, 2017.
The statement added that Pakistan remained committed to fully implementing the International Court of Justice’s (ICJ) agreement of July 17, 2019. “It is hoped that India will cooperate with the Pakistan court in giving full effect to the said judgement.”
Meanwhile, PPP leader Raza Rabbani raised the issue of Kulbhushan Jadhav at the floor of Senate on Wednesday. He said that with the deadline for filing a review plea against the death sentence awarded to Kulbhushan Jadhav by a military court expiring in less than a week, if anybody was availing the concession offered through an ordinance.
He asked the foreign ministry to explain if the concession was being availed by anybody as more than 50 days had already passed.
According to an ANI report from New Delhi, India has asked Pakistan to give unconditional access to Kulbhushan Jadhav. India had last Thursday said it is assessing all legal options in the case related to Indian national Kulbushan Jadhav, who is on death row in Pakistan and assured that it is committed to protecting the life of Indian nationals.
Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Anurag Srivastava had earlier said; “We had pointed out how Pakistan’s claim that Kulbushan Jadhav has refused to initiate a review petition, is a continuation of the farce playing out for the last 4 years. We are assessing our legal options and we remain committed to protecting the life of our Indian nationals”.