AGH chief, other others killed in an encounter in Shopian district


SRINAGAR: In an encounter, the chief of Ansar Gazwatul Hind (AGH) was among three militants killed in South Kashmir’s Shopian district on Wednesday.
An Army officer, two soldiers and two civilians including a woman were injured as the gunfight which broke out at Melhoora area of Shopian district of South Kashmir ended today.
Inspector General of Police Kashmir, Vijay Kumar, told Excelsior that killing of the AGH chief, Burhan Majid Koka, is a major success for the security forces as the entire group has almost been wiped out with only 3-4 cadre left in South Kashmir.

SRINAGAR: Army jawans leave after the end of an encounter with militants, at Melhora in Shopian on Wednesday. Three militants were killed in an overnight encounter.

The IGP said that Koka was involved in the attacks on the security forces, killing of civilians and recruitment of local youth into militancy for last few years. He said that Koka, a resident of Melhoora in Shopian district, joined Hizbul Mujahideen outfit in May 2018 and later shifted to AGH.
His two associates Nisar Ahmad Bhat of Arwani Bijbehara and Bilal Ahmad Khan alias Umar of Sangoo Narbal in district Pulwama were also killed in the encounter. The operation was launched by a joint team of Army, SOG and CRPF at Melhoora village yesterday after inputs about presence of militants inside the village. The operation was put on hold last night and the cordon was tightened to prevent militants from fleeing.
The operation ended this afternoon as the security forces recovered three bodies of the militants from the debris of the house which was raised during the encounter. Two militant bodies were recovered from the debris of the house and another from beneath a veranda.
A woman Shahnaza Bano wife of Farooq Ahmad Koka suffered bullet wounds in her both legs and was referred to SMHS hospital Srinagar for treatment.
The militants bodies were taken to Srinagar where their post-mortem was conducted and DNA samples were taken. Few families claimed the bodies and they were given passes to travel to the Ganderbal district where the bodies were buried in the evening as per the proper protocol.