LONDON: A man charged following a stabbing at a mosque in Park Road, NW8 has appeared in court. According a Met Police report, Daniel Horton – 29 of no fixed abode, was charged with Section 18 GBH and possession of a bladed article on Friday, 21 February. He appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court on Saturday, 22 February where he was remanded in custody to appear at Southwark Crown Court on Friday, 20 March.
Horton was further charged with two counts of breaching a restraining order [unrelated] for which he was sentenced to eight weeks imprisonment at the same hearing. This follows an incident at approximately 15:10hrs on Thursday, 20 February.
A man, aged in his 70s, was taken to hospital for treatment to stab injuries – he was discharged following treatment. Officers from the Central West Command Unit investigate. Raafat Maglad suffered stab injuries and was treated in hospital after the incident.
Mr Maglad, who has been a muezzin for 30 years, checked himself out of hospital within 24 hours of the stabbing and returned to the mosque for Friday prayers.
Describing the attack, Mr Maglad said: “I just felt blood flowing from my neck and that’s it, they rushed me to the hospital. Everything happened all of a sudden.” Mr Maglad said as a Muslim he does not hold any hatred in his heart, adding that it was “very important” for him to attend Friday prayers.
Mr Maglad told reporters: “I forgive him. I feel very sorry for him.” He added: “What is done is done, he is not going to return. “He is a human being and this is my faith. What happened to me is my faith.”
Mr Maglad, who is originally from Sudan, said he thought he had seen the attacker previously worshipping at the mosque.
Describing how the attack unfolded, he said: “We were praying and I just felt somebody hit me from behind. He didn’t say anything.“I just felt blood flowing from my neck and that’s it, they rushed me to the hospital. Everything happened all of a sudden.”