Ali jailed for 15 years over acid attack in East Ham


LONDON: A man has been jailed for at least 15 years after he caused life-changing injuries to another man by throwing a noxious substance in his face.

Muhammed Al-Ali, 24 of Sisley Road, IG11 was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on 25 October after he was found guilty of throwing a noxious substance with intent to maim, disfigure or cause grievous bodily harm and grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was sentenced to 20 years’ imprisonment, to serve a minimum of 15 years and five years on license. Sahme Mohammed 28 of Park Avenue, E6 was found guilty of the same offences and will be sentenced in January 2020.

The court heard that police were called at 16:00hrs on Monday, 12 February 2018 to reports of a man having been attacked with a noxious substance at Burges Road, E6.

Officers and London Ambulance Service attended. On arrival, police found the victim suffering from burn injuries to his face, arms and torso. Members of the public had run to help him and were dousing him with water.

Initial enquiries established that three males had arrived at Burges Road in a silver coloured Lexus. The victim was hit with a brick before a corrosive liquid was brought out of the vehicle and poured onto his face, causing catastrophic injuries.

Medics treating the victim following the attack described his injuries as ‘a devastating chemical injury’ for which the resulting treatment was a variety of procedures including skin grafts and the reconstruction of his eyelid.

The men involved were identified from CCTV and forensic evidence and all three were arrested and subsequently charged.

Mohammed was arrested on 16 February, while Al-Ali was arrested on 26 February. Both were charged and remanded in custody until trial, which concluded on Thursday, 15 August.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Faye Cook of Newham Police said: “The injuries sustained by the victim were devastating. He has undergone and continues to undergo a long and painful schedule of treatment. I sincerely hope that he can find a measure of comfort in the sentence handed down today.”

A 27-year-old man was arrested on 16 February 2018 on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent. He was also charged with throwing a noxious substance with intent to maim, disfigure or cause grievous bodily harm [GBH] and GBH with intent. He died on 29 June 2019 before the trial.