ISLAMABAD: Director General Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) Lt. Gen. Faiz Hamid called on Prime Minister Imran Khan here at PM House on Wednesday. According to informed sources, matters pertaining to national security particularly the skirmishes at LoC and India’s attitude were discussed in detail.
Issue of up-gradation of special monitoring project at the ISI Directorate was also taken to stock for which ECC has approved Rs 1.5 million on request for supplementary grant by the Ministry of Defence. They were hopeful that new system would streamline the working of the agency”, the sources said.
The disturbing reports of skirmishes and ceasefire violations at the LoC are matter of grave concern and apprehensions are being expressed in Islamabad of full-fledge war”, the sources added referring the latest statement of Imran Khan issued on Wednesday the day of this significant meeting.
Imran Khan warned the world about India’s continuing efforts to find a pretext for a false flag operation against Pakistan. In a tweet on Wednesday before the meeting with intelligence chief, the prime minister rejected what he termed the baseless allegations by India of “infiltration” across the Line of Control (LoC), saying it is a continuation of India’s dangerous agenda of a false flag operation targeting Pakistan. “I have been warning the world about India’s continuing efforts to find a pretext for a false flag operation targeting Pakistan,” he stated.
“India is finding the pretexts of war with Pakistan”; Imran said adding the indigenous Kashmiri resistance against Indian occupation is a direct consequence of India’s oppression and brutalisation against Kashmiris. He cautioned that the “fascist policies” of Indian premier Narendra Modi’s government were “fraught with serious risks”. He urged the world community to take action before India’s “reckless moves jeopardise the peace and security” of the region.
He urged upon the international community to “must act before India’s reckless moves jeopardise peace and security in South Asia. If war started then it would be a complete disaster”. Imran Khan termed Indian allegations of Pakistani infiltration across the Line of Control (LoC) as “baseless”, saying they were a “continuation of a dangerous agenda”.
The prime minister’s statement comes days after a volley of statements from Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and Army Chief Gen MM Naravane claiming the presence of so-called “terrorist launch-pads” in Azad Kashmir and infiltration bids.
In an interview with a local media outlet on May 4, Gen Narvane had claimed that Pakistan is still following its “myopic” and “limited” agenda of “pushing terrorists” into occupied Jammu and Kashmir, saying that India will “respond appropriately with precision” unless the neighbouring country “gives up its policy of state-sponsored terrorism”.
Pakistan approached UN
Earlier on Saturday, Pakistan had asked the United Nations to seek proof from India about the alleged “terror launch pads” near the LoC and offered full cooperation with the UN military observers for probing the accusations.
“Pakistan formally offers the United Nations to approach India for obtaining information of alleged launch pads and share the same with UNMOGIP, who will be welcomed to move into any area without sharing specifics with the Pakistan government to validate Indian claims,” the Foreign Office had said in a statement.
Recently, FO spokesperson Aisha Farooqui had rejected what she termed the “irresponsible, spurious and totally false allegations” against Pakistan by the Indian army chief. General MM Naravane had alleged that while India was busy “not only helping our own citizens but the rest of the world by sending medical teams and exporting medicines” during the coronavirus crisis, Pakistan was only “exporting terror”.
“These baseless Indian allegations are patently designed to divert global and domestic attention from India’s state-terrorism and egregious human rights violations, and clamping of fundamental freedoms in occupied Jammu and Kashmir, particularly post August 5, 2019,” the FO spokesperson responded in her statement.
Meanwhile, the Opposition Leader in National Assembly, Shehbaz Sharif also joined the premier to rebuke India’s allegations. “Jingoism is written all over Modi’s DNA. Despite fight against Covid-19, incessant violations of LoC by Indian army have become a norm with 940 such incidents recorded this year alone,” he said in a tweet. “Allegation of ‘terror launching pads’ by India is meant to whip up propaganda against Pakistan,” he added.
Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the media wing of Pakistan Army, Maj General Babar Iftikhar had also termed India’s insinuation about infiltration and ceasefire violations (CFVs) “baseless” and said they were designed to divert global and domestic attention from the “unending fiasco” post the Indian annexation of Kashmir.
He made the remarks in response to an interview of commander of the Indian Army’s 15th Corps Lt Gen BS Raju to the BBC. The 15th Corps is responsible for security along the Line of Control (LoC) and internal security of Kashmir.
In his interview, the Indian commander had stated that ceasefire violations by the Pakistan Army were “shameful”. He further said that “Pakistan needs to change its behaviour so that both countries can deal with the coronavirus pandemic in their own ways”. Gen Raju also claimed that Pakistan was deliberately sending people infected with Covid-19 into Kashmir.
The DG ISPR had refuted both allegations, terming them “baseless” and “delusional”, and advised the Indian government to focus on “addressing the internal mess” which he said was created not only by Covid-19 but also by the “tragedy unfolding in India-occupied Kashmir for years on end”.