LONDON: The Justice Secretary Robert Buckland has criticised the early release of those who have been convicted under terror act and said that law on early terrorist release is “madness” that “is failing London”. He warned as emergency legislation to stop extremist convicts being freed automatically was unveiled in Parliament.
Robert Buckland said that he had suffered “shock” and then “deep frustration” in the wake of the double stabbing by released terror convict Sudesh Amman in Streatham this month and earlier Usman Khan at London Bridge.
He said the attack had only been halted by “brave police officers” who shot 20-year-old Amman dead before he could kill or injure more victims, The Evening Standard has reported.
Mr Buckland added that the incident — which followed the double killing at Fishmongers’ Hall in November by another freed terror convict, Usman Khan — showed the legislation that he was unveiling today was needed.
The new legislation, which ministers hope will clear its Commons stages this week and become law before the end of the month, will require terrorist offenders to serve at least two-thirds of their sentence and permit their release only if approved by the Parole Board.
It will apply retrospectively to existing prisoners, as well as those sentenced in future, and is expected to stop about 50 terrorist convicts being freed automatically this year after serving only half their jail term.
In a message to Londoners released to the Standard today, Mr Buckland said: “Like many Londoners I was shocked by the terrible news from Streatham.”It soon emerged that the attacker was a convicted terror offender who under the current law was released automatically after serving only half his sentence — and the shock I felt soon turned to a deep, sadly familiar, frustration.
Mr Buckland said the emergency legislation would put an end to this madness. Despite clear concerns, there were no powers to prevent this individual from being released. The law is failing. It’s failing London and it’s failing the country.
He added: “This is an extraordinary response, but we face an extraordinary threat. I want a united Parliament to send a message to terrorists loud and clear — we’ll put you behind bars for as long as possible.”
Father of Amman
According to media report, father of Sudesh Amman has said that he spoke to his “very good boy” just the day before — telling him, “Don’t be naughty.”
Faraz Khan told Sky News that he phoned his son, Sudesh Amman, on Saturday, the day before the younger man knifed two people while wearing a fake suicide vest before being shot dead by a team of cops.
The dad said he had “nothing bad to say” about his son, calling him “a very calm and very good boy. “I told him not to be naughty, be good, and he listened,” Khan told Sky of their final call.
His son had been under surveillance after being let out of prison early for possessing and distributing terrorist documents. The terrorist had been sentenced to three years and four months behind bars in December 2018 for his crimes.
He was released Jan. 23 and staying at a bail hostel close to where he attacked in the south London neighborhood of Streatham. Later, ISIS claimed responsibility for London attack.
Yet Amman’s father insisted that he “didn’t know [his son] had become radicalized,” telling Sky, “He would never talk to me about naughty things. “I heard they found a lot of things, and I saw them on the news, but I never thought he would go this far.”