ISLAMABAD: Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman on Wednesday said that the convoys of Azadi March will enter Islamabad on October 31. Talking to media in Islamabad on Wednesday, the convoys from across the country will leave for Islamabad on October 27 and will enter jointly in the federal capital on October 31.
He announced that not a single convoy would enter Islamabad before October 31, adding that the rallies that would be taken out on October 27would only be to express solidarity with the Kashmiris.
Senior politician Maulana Abdul Ghafoor Haideri on Wednesday submitted an application with the chief commissioner of Islamabad for carrying out anti-government protest campaign ‘Azadi March’ and a possible sit-in at D-Chowk in Islamabad.
In the written application, the opposition party JUI-F has maintained that the party owns the “democratic and constitutional” right of holding protests.
It further says that under the leadership of JUI-F chief Fazlur Rehman, a large number of party workers will participate in the long march.
The party has further asked the local administration to ensure provision of essential security measures for the demonstrators.
It is pertinent to mention here that the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and its allies have been strongly opposing the proposed ‘Azadi March’ by the opposition rivals.
Two main opposition parties including Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) have so far expressed political and moral support for the proposed long march.
Later, in his talk to the media, JUI-F’s Haideri said that the party has decided to allow everyone to join the long march except teenagers less than 18 years of age.
Meanwhile, Federal Minister for Interior Ejaz Shah on Wednesday termed Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Fazlur Rehman’s call for anti-government ‘Azadi March’ on October 27 as “suicide”.
“Fazlur Rehman is an influential [politician], he has done politics throughout his life, his father was a politician too. In think Maulana Sahib will not come, I do believe this because this is a political suicide,” he stated.
“I am hopeful that, God willing, they will not hold the sit-in,” he added. Importantly, the minister said that the government would definitely show flexibility when he was asked if the government would show flexibility if the JUI-F were willing to hold talks.
“There is no point in the demands of the JUI-F that the government has not considered.”
“No syllabus is being changed, no restrictions are being imposed against madrasahs
– in fact madrasahs are being improved,” he concluded.
Responding to economic state of the country, he stated that the economy would improve in the days to come.
“One dollar was equal to Rs60 in [the year] 2000 and it crossed Rs100 in 2018 […] the question of inflation should be asked from those who had been ruling the country for 70 years.”
The interior minister further said that everyone knew the causes of inflation. “It has only been 12 months since this government came into power,” he pointed out.
Regarding the recent simmering tensions with India over Kashmir dispute, Mr Shah revealed that the Modi regime has been under intense pressure over occupied Kashmir. “The situation in occupied Kashmir is deteriorating due to the imposition of stringent curfew,” he added.