LONDON: The Karachi based businessmen Jabir Siddiq Motiwala will remain in custody on remand and will appear for a case management hearing on November 12, before a three-day trial in extradition case scheduled between February 25 and 27 next year.
It was decided by West Magistrate Court on Friday (19th October). He had been denied bail during previous hearings and did not make any further application for bail on Friday (19th October).
The hearing against 51-year-old Pakistani national on Friday took place after Jabir Siddiq made his another attempt at the London High Court for bail and reportedly increased the surety amount to £1.5 million but the judge refused the bail stating that there was “genuine” fear that he could easily obtain a travel document using his connections and influence to flee the country. The judge said that it would not be safe to give him bail even with the huge amount of £1.5 million on offer.
At an earlier hearing on 27th September at the Westminster Magistrate’s Court, District Judge Emma Arbuthnot had refused the bail after bail surety of £1 million was offered. The judge had maintained that there was flight risk – the same argument upheld by the High Court – although the judge said she was convinced that Jabir was a man of “good character” and has no previous convictions or legal issues with authorities and came across as a credible person but she gave weight to the argument of the prosecution that the Karachi businessman could get access to alternative travel papers easily.
Police did not produce him in court for security reason hence Jabir Moti was appeared before Westminster Magistrates’ Court via live video link from Wandsworth prison in south-west London on Friday. This time the judge was different and Judge Tan Ikram Khan heard the case instead of Judge Emma Arbuthnot and announced; “As there is no bail application, I am remanding you in custody until November 12.”
Jabir Moti is facing extradition to the US on money laundering and extortion charges. He had been denied bail during previous hearings and did not make any further application for bail on Friday.
Moti’s defence lawyer, Toby Cadman of Guernica law firm, told the court that his client had made an application in court to have his name changed on the case documents to Jabir Siddiq. He also indicated that Moti’s defence intends to depose a number of legal experts as witnesses in the case, with the key issues being “abuse of process and entrapment” by the authorities.