Ronaldo rejects allegations of model Mayorga as ‘fake news’

0
6

LONDON: US police said Monday they had re-opened an investigation into accusations by former American model Kathryn Mayorga that the Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel in June 2009.
Ronaldo has strenuously denied the accusations. “I’ve known Cristiano for three months now and for over 15 years of his career he has shown to be a great professional both on and off the pitch,” said Allegri of the 33-year-old striker who joined the club from Real Madrid for 100 million euros ($117 million) during the summer.

He is facing allegations of rape by a former model who accuses the Portuguese superstar of attacking her in his Las Vegas hotel penthouse suite in 2009. Ronaldo, who now plays for Juventus in Italy’s Serie A, rejected the charges as “fake news” during a live chat on Instagram. “What they said today, fake – fake news,” the 33-year-old star of the Portuguese national team said in a post that was later deleted.

Kathryn Mayorga, 34, of Las Vegas, accused Ronaldo, in a 32-page complaint filed last month with a district court in Nevada, of raping her on June 13, 2009. Mayorga alleges in the lawsuit that she was pressured into signing a nondisclosure agreement to keep the alleged rape secret and is seeking $200,000 in penalties and damages. The complaint was first reported by the German magazine Der Spiegel.

In the suit, Mayorga said she met Ronaldo on the evening of June 12, 2009 at the Rain Nightclub in the Palms Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas. It said she accepted an invitation to join Ronaldo and others in his penthouse suite to “enjoy the view of the Las Vegas strip.”

She was invited to join guests in a hot tub but she declined because she did not have a bathing suit, the complaint said. Ronaldo offered her clothing and then followed her into a bathroom where she was going to change clothes, it said. [She levelled very serious indecent allegations which can’t be published here due to newspaper’s policy.]

The lawsuit said Mayorga reported the alleged assault to the Las Vegas police the same day and underwent an examination at a local hospital. It said the assault had left her with “severe emotional and bodily injuries” and “major depression.” Under pressure from Ronaldo’s “fixers,” Mayorga settled the case “in exchange for a payment of $375,000 and non-disclosure of the sexual assault,” the lawsuit said.