LONDON: A man who used social media to attempt to meet teenagers for sex has been sentenced to eight years in jail at Isleworth Crown Court today, Thursday, 3 May. Mohamed Mohamoud, 31, of Uxbridge was found guilty on Tuesday, 20 March of two counts of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and one count of attempting to incite a child to commit sexual activity.
These charges related to three separate females- aged 14 or 15 at the time of the offences – with whom Mohamoud communicated in 2015 and 2016.
The jury heard how Mohamoud identified young females through Facebook, and then contacted the victims seeking to obtain their phone numbers. He subsequently made attempts to meet the girls for sexual activity, offering drugs and alcohol and the promise of taking them shopping.
Police were first alerted to Mohamoud by a teacher at a secondary school in Hayes who had been told by a 14-year-old girl about messages that she’d exchanged online.
Officers investigated this information and two further female victims of around the same age were identified who had also been contacted by Mohamoud but none of the three girls met with Mohamoud.
Mohamoud was arrested on 26 July 2016. During the police investigation and the subsequent trial, Mohamoud showed no remorse and attempted to blame others for his actions. Detective Constable Mike Evans, of the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command, said: “Mohamoud’s sentence demonstrates how serious these offences are, and the Met’s commitment to the investigation of online abuse towards young people.