SYDNEY: David Warner has joined former captain Steve Smith and batsman Cameron Bancroft in accepting sanctions imposed on him by Cricket Australia (CA) for his role in the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.
Smith and Warner were slapped with 12-months bans, while Bancroft, who was caught using a piece of sandpaper on the ball in the third Test in Cape Town, was suspended for nine months following the events which have rocked the sport. “I have today let Cricket Australia know that I fully accept the sanctions imposed on me,” Warner said on his Twitter account. “I am truly sorry for my actions and will now do everything I can to be a better person, teammate and role model.”
Smith and Bancroft confirmed on Wednesday that they had accepted the CA sanctions. The trio had until yesterday to appeal their bans. Smith and deputy Warner were stripped of their leadership positions for their role in the March 24 incident and are set to lose a lot of money after sponsors dropped them. On top of that they were banned from this year’s Indian Premier League.
Smith and Bancroft were also barred from holding leadership positions within the Australian team for two years, while Warner will never be able to hold such a position again.
The trio returned to Australia at the end of last week and all three gave tear-filled press conferences in which they accepted full responsibility for their actions. “These are significant penalties for professional cricketers. They were not imposed lightly,” CA CEO James Sutherland said in a statement.
“We know the players will return to playing the game they love, and in doing so, we hope they rebuild their careers and regain the trust of fans.”
The scandal also prompted Darren Lehmann, who was cleared of any wrongdoing by the CA, to step down as Australia coach after the final Test against South Africa. The former Baggy Green batsman said abuse dished out toward his family, following the incident, was the reason behind his quitting as the side’s mentor.
Picture – David Warner