Hasna Begum jailed forlife over killing Italian man


LONDON: A woman who inflicted 36 stab injuries on an Italian man has been convicted of his m under. Hasna Begum, 25, of Byng Street, E14 was found guilty at Inner London Crown Court on Monday, 11 December of the murder of 23-yearold Italian national Pietro Sanna following a trial. She was sentenced on the same day to life imprisonment, to serve a minimum of 20 years.

Hasna Begum

The court heard how Begum, who claimed to have been in a relationship with Pietro, went to Ravenscroft Close, E16 at approximately 06:30hrs on Friday, 23 June. She was wearing a blonde wig and started banging on neighb our’s doors demanding to know where he was .
When she eventually tracked him down to his room in a multi-occupancy address, she launched a frenzied attack before leaving the murder scene with the dying victim’s phone. Three days later, Pietro’s brother received an anonymous phone call from Begum while he was at work.
He was told to go to his brother’s address, which he did out of concern for his welfare, and was met with a horrific scene. Officers and London Ambulance Service attended Ravenscroft Close, E16, at approximately 11:40hrs on Monday, 26 June, and found Pietro with multiple stab wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene. An investigation commenced by detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command and Begum was arrested on Tuesday, 27 June on suspicion of murder.A special post-mortem examination held on Wednesday, 28 June, at East Ham Mortuary gave cause of Pietro’s death as multiple stab wounds.

Pietro Sanna

When interviewed, Begum admitted that she had attended the address but claimed that the victim had become aggressive towards her and she acted in self defence. Detectives would later find that Begum had visited a clinic after the attack to receive treatment to a thumb which was injured whilst she inflicted the fatal blows upon Pietro. Police would also find that Begum had called the victim after his death six times despite taking his phone with her after the attack. This was found to be a clear attempt to thwart investigators.