MANCHESTER: Police will attempt to bring the brother of Manchester Arena suicide bomber Salman Abedi back to the UK from Libya after being granted a warrant for his arrest. Anti-terror police said an extradition request was handed to the authorities in Libya on Wednesday where Hashem Abedi is currently in custody.
Both brothers travelled to Libya in April, before Salman returned alone before carrying out the attack on May 22, which left 22 dead and hundreds injured. Hashem Abedi is understood to be currently held by a militia group in Libya. Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, of Greater Manchester Police and head of the North West Counter Terrorism Unit (NWCTU) said: “I can now say that following a review of the evidence by the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service), we have applied for and been granted a warrant for the arrest of Hashem Abedi. ”
The arrest warrant relatesto the murder of 22 people, the attempted murder of others who were injured and conspiracy to cause an explosion. Hashem Abedi is currently detained in Libya and the CPS has now requested that Libyan authorities consider his extradition back to the United Kingdom.We are grateful for the Libyan authorities considering this request.
Police have previously said they do not think Salman Abedi was part of a wider network but believe others were involved in the planning of the attack and named Hashem as a suspect. Abedi’s bomb has been described as “substantial” in size, and he had put it inside a tin with the shrapnel, nuts and bolts, placed around it. He detonated the device at the end of an Ariane Grande concert with 353 people, including 175 children, around him in the foyer of the arena venue.