LAHORE: Authorities have lifted ban from Pakistani film ‘Na Maloom Afraad 2’ as the Punjab Film Censor Board reviewed the movie. According to our correspondent, the movie – sequel to 2014’s comedy thriller film ‘Na Maloom Afraad’ – was reviewed by the Punjab Film Censor Board in a meeting on Saturday.
The board last week imposed ban on the film’s screening in the province over some “objectionable scenes”. Following the review, the censor board has allowed screening of the film, saying that it contains no objectionable scenes. “Banning a family film is inappropriate,” said the censor board chairperson.
The Lollywood movie is co-written and directed by Nabeel Qureshi. The recurring starring cast includes Fahad Mustafa, Javed Sheikh, Mohsin Abbas Haider and Urwa Hocane, along with Hania Amir in lead role, and Marina Khan; who made her film debut.
Principle photography began in March 2017 in Karachi, and completed in May, while most shots are filmed in Cape Town. The film released worldwide on Eidul Azha, September 2, 2017 under the banners of Filmwala Pictures and Excellency Films, and was distributed by Urdu 1.
The makers of the film called a press conference at the Karachi Press Club on Saturday to inform the media about the issue. They did hold the presser, but a few hours after the press briefing, it was announced, as confirmed by the director of NMA 2, that the ban had been lifted.
At the press conference, film producer Fizza Ali Meerza said on Friday afternoon she received a notification in which no substantial reasons were given for the ban and only a vague reason was mentioned that complaints against the movie had been received. “After that it left us with no option such as to go to court the next morning (Saturday). Despite all the troubles, we have filed a petition in the Lahore High Court.” She said her team also phoned cinema owners in Lahore to know whether there was any problem, and all of them replied the film had been running successfully without any complaints.
Their [owners’] own schedule had been disturbed because of the decision.
Replying to another question about the possible reasons, film director Nabeel Qureshi said the film only had entertainment. He, however, said that he had heard from two or three sources that some people had thought the film had vulgar scenes. If that was the case, then why the censor boards of the country cleared it in the first place, he asked.
The movie had so far done business worth more than Rs20 crore, which meant the audience had liked it, he said.
The second possible reason he talked about was the character of an Arab sheikh in the film. Since the Punjab government had a strong friendship with the sheikhs, perhaps that could be the reason that the film had been taken off the screens, he said.
“This is the reason that our film hasn’t been released in the UAE,” he said.
Ms Meerza mentioned an Urdu newspaper which had had problems with the film. All the big publications, she noted, had praised the film but they were ignored while a single newspaper was being listened to.