Police grilling six suspects in Parsons Green bombing


LONDON: Detectives investigating the Parsons Green terrorist attack have made further four arrests in Wales and other areas on Wednesday and Thursday. Now police are grilling six suspects in this case.

Police have arrested a 17-year-old boy in south London. The teenager was detained after officers executed a warrant in Thornton Heath at around midnight on Thursday. All six to remain in custody at a south London police station for investigation.

Earlier, a 48-year-old man [D] and a 30-year-old man [E] were arrested under section 41 of the Terrorism Act after officers executed a warrant at a second address in Newport, Wales at around 05.10hrs.

This follows the arrest of a 25-year-old man [C] at a separate address in Newport yesterday evening (Tuesday, 19 September).

The arrests were carried out by officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, supported by colleagues from Gwent Police and the Welsh Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit (WECTU). Searches at the two addresses in Newport are ongoing.

Two other men who were arrested on Saturday remain in police custody, meaning a total five men [A-E] have been arrested in connection with the investigation to date.

An 18-year-old man [A] was arrested by Kent Police in the port area of Dover at approximately 07:50hrs under section 41 of the Terrorism Act. A warrant for his further detention was granted by Westminster Magistrates’ Court until 23 September.

A 21-year-old [B] was arrested in Hounslow at 23:50hrs under section 41 of the Terrorism Act. A warrant for his further detention was granted by Westminster Magistrates’ Court until 21 September.

Searches at two addresses in Surrey are still ongoing and are expected to last some days. The search at a commercial property in Hounslow has now concluded. We would like to thank the public for their patience and cooperation.

Commander Dean Haydon, head of the Met Counter Terrorism Command, said: “This continues to be a fast-moving investigation. A significant amount of activity has taken place since the attack on Friday. We now have five men in custody and searches are continuing at four addresses. Detectives are carrying out extensive inquiries to determine the full facts behind the attack.

“We urge the public to report any suspicious activity to the police by calling us, in confidence, on 0800 789 321, or in an emergency by dialling 999. We are asking the public to look out for anything that seems out of place, unusual or just doesn’t seem to fit in with day-to-day life. It may be nothing, but if you see or hear anything that could be terrorist-related trust your instincts, then act, and call us”, he added.

Woman held at Heathrow

Meanwhile, anti-terror police have arrested a woman after she arrived at Heathrow Airport on a flight from Turkey. The 22-year-old was arrested by officers from the Metropolitan

Police’s Counter Terrorism Command at about 22:20 BST on Tuesday.

She is being questioned on suspicion of membership of a proscribed organisation, contrary to section 11 of the Terrorism Act 2000. The Met said she was detained under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act. She was taken to an east London police station where she remains in custody.